Newsreels values your privacy and data security. While we work double-time to deliver your choice of news topics for just half the time other news service providers would take, we also put effort in the background to keep your choices and other privacy-related information secure.
In true Newsreels fashion, we chopped the clutter of legal jargon and developed this policy in simple and easily understandable terms.
We understand that many of us would rather tick a box, agree without reading first, or mostly just ignore privacy statements. So, we made the following policy as concise and light as possible. And in bullets, too.
The Information We Collect
When you use this website or the Newsreels app, we may need to collect, receive, or develop the following categories of information from or about you:
- Identifiable information, contact details, and other account information. This includes your name, username, and password associated with your account.
- Demographic information. We may collect information relating to your particular group like gender, reading preference, locality, and others.
- Payment information. This information would be collected should you decide to subscribe to any of our paid services.
- Information you provide. When you customise your topic preferences and choose specific sources for your news, we may collect these information to tailor your reading experience to your liking. These data may also play in the advertisements displayed in the app.
- Location information. To help you connect with articles closer to home, we may use your location information to keep you updated on the news around you.
- Inferences. Using any or all of the information mentioned above, our systems may draw inferences about you, reflecting what we believe would elevate your experience with our services.
How We Collect Your Information
We collect personal information about you from various sources. Here’s a quick rundown of the places from which we may gather information:
- Directly from you. We may request and collect information from you such as when you contact us through different channels available on both the website and the app. Your information would also be made available to us when you create or customise your profile, and when you decide to purchase any of our paid services.
- Passively from your devices. Information about you may also come from various tracking technologies such as web beacons, cookies, and embedded scripts to automatically collect information about you when you interact with the website, app, ads, or emails.
- From third parties. Should you opt to connect your account with a third party service, your information present from the said third party would be sent over to us. This happens when you sign in or create an account using your social media channels or email, or when you reshare content on your personal external accounts.
- From affiliated vendors. For instance, we may engage with vendors and service providers to collect or provide us with information about you, such as access to location services via wireless networks or cell towers near your mobile device, or your IP address.
- From the news outlets you enjoy. Additionally, we may obtain your data from the news websites and other sources you interact with while using our services.
- And from our interpretation of the combination of any or all of the information gathered from the abovementioned sources.
How We Disclose to Third Parties
Under the following circumstances, we may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- We share information with our marketing partners. Newsreels may work with advertising partners to serve you third-party advertisements, including interest-based advertisements, on Newsreels and on other services. Personal information received by our marketing partners and other parties may also be subject to their privacy policies. To learn about how to control how we share your information with marketing partners, please review Your Choices in the succeeding sections.
- If need be, we may disclose information as required by the law, for safety and security purposes.
- Our vendors and service providers may receive information that would help us offer and improve our services.
- We may share personal information if we sell, transfer or otherwise share some or all of our assets in connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization or sale of assets in the event of a bankruptcy.
How We Protect Your Data
We work extra hard to protect your data, especially in the fast-paced environment of the internet. However, this very landscape is shifting and threats are getting more sophisticated and creative, albeit decidedly nefarious. So, we advise you to practice caution when using the internet. While you take measures to protect yourself, we are with you on protecting your cybersecurity from our end.
- Data Retention - in compliance with prevailing legal and regulatory conventions, we store your data in a secure digital environment. The length of time we retain your information depends solely on the purposes described in this policy.
- Data Security - following the guardrails defined by the law, we employ strategies through our teams to prevent breaches which could potentially compromise your information.
Similar to the freedom you have to choose the kind of news that you love, you are also free to exercise discretion when dealing with your personal information and online data. For instance, you may:
- Opt out of receiving our marketing materials.
Control certain cookies and tracking tools. Cookies and HTML5
local storage are ways to keep information about your use of
Internet services on your own mobile device or computer. These
technologies help us better understand user behavior, tell us
which parts of our websites people have visited, and facilitate
and measure the effectiveness of advertisements and web
Deletion of Data
You may decide to completely remove your data from our system by contacting us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
After confirming your intent, we then begin the process to safely and completely delete your data from our storage. In order to make sure that there is no accidental data loss, this process may take up to 2 months to complete.
As with any deletion process, things like routine maintenance, unexpected outages, bugs, or failures in our protocols may cause delays in the processes and timeframes defined in this article. We maintain systems designed to detect and remediate such issues.